Welcome to my journey! Forty Days of Sharing.

I have recently been convicted by God that I need to be sharing my faith more. As I've spent time on my tread mill praying, I've sensed God has wanted to stretch me and take me out of my comfort zone. So, hang on to you gospel tracts, here we go!

Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Day #31 - My Tooth and the Truth

I got two cavities filled about an hour ago. I LOVE going to the dentist! NOT!

My mouth is still numb, but my heart is alive because of the opportunity I had with my dentist. He's a great guy, a young man, and is well aware of the fact that I'm a pastor of a Bible-based Chrisitan church. My whole family has used this clinic for years, and I am getting to know some of the staff a bit.

I decided to push the relational envelope one more step with my dentist. God gave me that opportunity as he was filling out my chart with the final details of the cavities he just filled (he probably wrote: "Bill squirmed like a little girl throughout procedure" in his notes). As he wrote I pulled out my tract and my business card (see this below) ready for action. I prayed, "God give me the opportunity."

Once he finished writing, my doctor turned to me and said, "How's your congregation doing?" (Nice! Way to go God!) I said, "It's great, things are going well. In fact, I'd like to give you this - in case you or anyone else is ever interested in coming. Also, here's a booklet that tells how you can know you're going to heaven."

He gladly accepted it (albeit, a little awkwardly-I’m pretty sure he’s LDS), smiled and he thanked me.

We had some more small talk, and he walked me out to the checkout counter. As we stood there, I said, "Doc, you are good at what you do - and I want to be good at what I do. That's why I gave you that tract."  He said, "We both want to help people." I smiled and said, "That's right!" and continued, "Hey, could I borrow some of your anesthetic for some of my people?" We chuckled, shook hands and said our goodbyes.

As I've said, witnessing to people you know and will have many future interactions with is scary, but is much more meaningful and in the end, I believe, will bear more fruit.

One last thought: Isn't it nice to know that in heaven we won't have cavities or decay? Even so, I sure hope we have at least one more dentist in The Kingdom because of today.

1 comment:

RissaRoo said...

What a great example of how God can use suffering (and if going to the dentist isn't suffering, I don't know what is!) to spread the Good News! Thanks for your inspiring journey, our family is praying for you and for everyone you reach!