Welcome to my journey! Forty Days of Sharing.

I have recently been convicted by God that I need to be sharing my faith more. As I've spent time on my tread mill praying, I've sensed God has wanted to stretch me and take me out of my comfort zone. So, hang on to you gospel tracts, here we go!

Monday, January 4, 2010

Day #1 - So it begins ...

Well, I've finally done it. I've entered the world of blogging.

Maybe it's because of watching Julie & Julia with my wife or maybe the spirit of God is just having its way with me. After all, I've been considering a series of "40 Day of..." disciplines for some time. I guess the beginning of a new year is a great place to start.

I'm a pretty simple guy. I just want to share my faith in Jesus with as many as I possibly can. So, that's what this is all about.

The plan: tell someone about Jesus every day for the next 40 days. Most likely that will mean walking up to a complete stranger on the street or in a store and saying, "Hi, I'd like to share with you how Jesus Christ has changed my life." And then hand them a gospel tract. Simple, right? Forty days. January 4 - February 12. Forty opportunities to die to myself. Forty opportunities for people to learn about a relationship with God.

The motivation: It says in the Bible, in Philemon 6 "I pray that you may be active in sharing your faith, so that you will have a full understanding of every good thing we have in Christ." (NIV) I want to be an example to those I lead - especially my family and my church.

The results: So, how did it go today? It was a challenge to push my flesh, that's for sure. It helped that my two older boys were planning on passing out tracts themselves today at their schools. Dad needs to be an example. So here's what I did:

About 11:00 am I went out the door of my home for a prayer walk and headed right down to the local Tesoro gas station. I figured, hey, these guys have to be nice to me, they get paid to be kind. But, I had to have a reason for going in the store, so I picked up a pack of gum and waited in line for the biker looking dude with "Tony" on his name badge to cash me out. He didn't seem happy.

After getting my change (the gum cost $1.50!!), I looked Tony in the eye and said, ""Would it be OK if I gave you something to read that has really changed my life." He looked at it, then snapped, "No thanks" and started helping the guy behind me. I said, "OK, have a great day" as I left the store.

This was going to be harder than I thought.

I dodged traffic and ran across the street to the 7-Eleven. I was in luck - no one else was in the store except the kind looking Indian woman behind the counter. I picked up another pack of gum (witnessing could get expensive!) and headed to the checkout. After paying and thanking her I handed her my tract and said "Here's something for you to read. It tells about how Jesus changed my life." Before she could turn me down, I smiled and started walking out. No way was I going to have to buy another pack of gum! I heard her tell me "Thank You" as the door closed behind me.

Whew. The first day is probably going to be the toughest. We'll see. Tune in tomorrow for more!

No comments: